Saturday, July 18, 2009

Our Lives Are Made In These Small Hours

Tonight Erik called and we got to talk for about 20 minutes. When he said he had to go, I was genuinely disappointed and said "But we JUST started talking!" then I realized we'd been talking for awhile and what a brat I was being. Last deployment I would have cut off a finger to talk to him for that long and now I'm grouchy because the man has work to do? I'm just getting antsy. There's finally a light at the end of this tunnel and I am really happy to be able to see it!

Truth be told, separations aren't really that hard on us it seems. Yes we'd rather be together, but if you consider that in our 5 year relationship we've spent a grand total of about 16 months in the same town at the same time what would seem the norm - togetherness or spending time "together" on the phone?

"For better or worse" that's been our relationship thus far, and I wouldn't change it. It's what got us here and I believe it's what gets us through. I know I'm luckier than most that my phone rings nearly every day and I recognize that we probably won't be so lucky next time, and that'll be okay. For now I'll just be grateful for the time we get to spend "together" knowing that it's much more than anyone can hope for in our situation, and I'm going to start counting down until the days I can pick up the phone and call him rather than wait for the phone to ring.

We're on the downhill slide now. The hardest part is over.

Our lives are made
In these small hours
These little wonders,
These twists & turns of fate
~Rob Thomas

2 comments:

  1. I recently told a friend of mine that I only get to talk to Rich about 20 minutes a day, and she was shocked "Really? WHY?!" Others really take communication for granted. I am glad that he is able to call you everyday. I hope the rest of the deployment flies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are on the downhill slide!

    ReplyDelete