Thursday, February 6, 2014

This is Why

I feel kind of silly blogging. I don't have a particularly interesting life, or earth shattering things to share. I don't have an angle, or a talent or eloquently stated ideas. My pictures aren't gorgeous and my background is plain. Hell, I'm not even as funny as I used to be. (Find my college blog - that was HILARIOUS!). So I don't really "advertise" the fact that I do this. Sometimes if I really want to get my thoughts "out there" I'll post the link on my Facebook, but for the most part, I don't think I do much to share this site with the world. I seriously don't even know if my own husband knows about or reads this.

And that's okay with me, because I don't do this for the world.

I do it to remember. Because I'm already forgetting.

And I do it for my kids. Because they won't remember. (which sometimes I'm grateful for...)

I'm not just a mom. I'm not just the person who packed lunches and cooked supper, cleaned up messes and gave baths. I have (usually pretty strong) opinions. I have thoughts that I don't say out loud (though those of you who know me well might find that pretty surprising). I want my children to look back on these posts and know who I was when I carved out a minute to be out from under my mom hat.

I read a super interesting article on the NPR website about memories. Basically that we plug current facts into into our memories. Think about your mom. How did she look when you were a kid? Because I put my moms current fifty-something-year-old face on the body I remember looking up at opening presents on her 33rd birthday (which, by the way, seemed positively ancient back then...).

Here's a quote from the article:
"Our memories aren't perfect," Voss says. "They're not like tape recorders. There's a small current of thought that thinks these failures aren't necessarily a bad thing. Memory is not intended to allow you to remember what you did last week, or remember your childhood. The point is to help you make good choices right now."

There you have it.

Our memories aren't made to remember the little things. But for me, my blog is.

2 comments:

  1. Oh geeze. This post just *crushed* me. Don't know why! I'm having an existential moment. Still having it. Stop it. Creeped out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I know this was you without clicking the link?

    Why didn't I know you blogged as well?

    Why haven't you reactivated your Facebook?

    Why aren't we in Maui?

    ReplyDelete