Friday, September 30, 2016

Remedying Baby Fever

A few nights ago, I was bemoaning my Baby Fever to Erik. Then that night and the next few Nash kept me up for HOURS with his teeth (he's getting his canines, I think) and God bless, maybe I really am done. I hate not sleeping. And things are getting SO easy. A friend of ours says this is the sign that we're done. He might not have used such delicate terms (HI DAVE!) but maybe he's on to something. Erik says he really does feel "complete." I do not, but I am also not that girl who just "knew" when she met her husband or found her wedding dress.

I am so ready to get rid of all the baby stuff cluttering my house and closets. I could do cartwheels in my closets if they weren't full of big tubs of neatly (HA!) organized baby clothes. I can NOT wrap my mind around having this extra space.

We went on a long weekend getaway several weeks ago, and since I was (am, still!) nursing, we didn't have to bring bottles or a million sippy cups to get through the day. Erik and I both commented on how much easier life is without the formula, the bottle washing basket, and the sterilizing bags, and the "find a gas station with organic milk because Sheena is nuts" situation we encounter EVERY TIME WE TRAVEL.

The thing with more than 3 kids is the cost. We love travelling, and that gets harder and harder with each kid. We're almost to the point we could all fit in the backseat of a regular car if necessary (whenever I'm willing to move G to a booster seat, that is...) and then we can get back to FLYING places and renting a car instead of being forced into driving simply by the economics of flying five people and then renting a big ass van.

Can you imagine the days of traveling without a car seat all together? This boggles my mind. Literally. I have not known this luxury as a parent.

But then I see a new little chunk in church or at the store and I think about all those exciting firsts again. Maybe the trick is to remind myself that there will always be exciting firsts, and they don't require a fresh little baby to experience.

So, for today at least, I'm not weepy-eyed about my last baby being my last baby. And that's something.

No comments:

Post a Comment