Tuesday, May 19, 2009

What a month!

So a couple of days after my last blog, Erik came home (a day early, and got to stay a day late!) and we had a great time. We flew to Kona (stayed in an AMAZING B&B - thanks to the recession for such a great deal!) from there we drove to Hilo and went to see Volcanoes National Park (because of which I'm still half dead from the sulfur dioxide). We also drove to the southern-most point in the United States. And, there is one tiny strip of land on the Big Island that is still governed by the British (it's a monument to Captain Cook). While we couldn't to the land its self (because one of us, I'm not going to say which one, didn't want to get muddy), we did get to see Britain from a bay in Kona and I think that's still pretty amazing. Then we went to Maui for a few days and drove to the top of Haleakala (well, Erik drove, I closed my eyes and willed myself not to get car sick). Then we came home and hung out here, spent a night in Waikiki (where we saw people we saw in Maui), and in a flash he was gone. I was able to take off most of the time he was here so we were able to go and do as we pleased, which was very nice. We ran around the islands, bought some "art" and too much wine, ate too much, drank too much and just enjoyed each other. Baxter and I both were very happy to have him here and very, VERY sad to see him go. I always feel like our time together goes far too fast.


In Kona

Still in Kona.
This is Hilo. We were at the Place of Refuge. Basically in ancient Hawaiian times, if you commit a crime (or, kapu, as they called it) like letting your shadow fall in front of the chief (serious, I know) you could be put to death. OR if you could make it to the place of refuge, you would be blessed by a priest and your transgressions were forgiven. Pretty weird idea, but a very beautiful area!


Now we're in Maui. So this is us in the 'Iao Valley. Google it, there is a very interesting story that I don't feel like typing out. It involved Kamehameha though, and we all know how I feel about him...


This is us in Maui at the top of Haleakala. It was windy and damn cold up there. Maybe 42* isn't cold to you, but when it's half of what you're used to it's awful!


And now, let us fast forward to 3 days after Erik left.

I'm laying on the couch, minding my business, when the doorbell rings. It's 8:30PM, so I cautiously open the door to find Dave, Vickie and Lori on my porch - apparently they had gotten a great deal on tickets and flew out here to surprise me. I screamed and jumped around so much that it looked like I had won the Publishers Clearing House (I know because they taped it). It was such a great surprise and really helped pull me out of my post R&R funk. I couldn't take off while they were here so they went to the beach every day and we grilled and drank champagne in the evenings. And on a whim we decided we'd go to Maui. And take a helicopter tour, amongst other things.
Everyone I tell about my surprise guests says "Wow! That takes guts!" but that's totally them. I wish I could be so laid back!


This may or may not have been in the car while they were waiting 4 hours for me to come home. Thing was, I was already home!

This is my face when I opened the door. I don't have the video :( Pardon my hair, I had just flung open my door.

We had a few skype dates with Erik!

This is us before our tour in Maui!

Dave during the tour.
Pardon the haze, we were above the clouds. ;)

Lori and I during the ride.

So anyway, that's my the recap of my amazing mid-April through mid-May. Hopefully I'll remember to update this thing before mid-June. :)

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you got to have Erik home, if only for a few weeks! Just think you are on the down hill slide!

    And how awesome about your surprise visit!!!

    ReplyDelete