Monday, March 11, 2013

Is That Really Helpful?

The other day, while getting ready for a trip to New Hampshire (for which I was responsible to pack myself, G, the car, the dogs, the dogs things, the stuff to drop off on the way to pick Erik up from work, prep the house and get out the door in the middle of G's regular nap time - which by the way, seemed a lot more daunting than it would have this time last year now that I'm used to having a co-parent around - I'm weakening, Haha!) I posted on FB about how my patience was running thin and how my child might be better off with Attila the Hun for a parent - a thought I have quite often, by the way - and someone took it upon them self to say "Wait until you have two!" Um, do you think I don't know that? You think I don't know my patience will be even more thin and my frustration level will be even higher? Do you really think it's necessary to say that? Surely you can't think that I've had that very same thought about 6,782 times since finding out I'm expecting? Howsabout you try to be a little bit more encouraging and uplifting?

Well, I had another extraordinarily bad day today with my tot, but I didn't even bother seeking support. What's the point? So someone could provide me with a not-so-gentile reminder that my life is about to get exponentially worse?!

It's just like people saying "Sleep while you can!" when they hear that you're pregnant. Is there some kind of sleep bank that I'm not aware of? The only time sleeping while you can is actually effective is literally the night before you give birth - and how many of us can predict that? I was lucky(-ish) and got an epidural about 11PM the night before I had G, and got a full nights sleep before I was awakened at 6AM. That was the best nights sleep I'd gotten in 3 months, and definitely the best since. But I digress.

Anyway, point is: I've always kind of held myself to the philosophy of "If you don't have anything nice to say about any body, come sit next to me," but after having been a single parent for a year, that philosophy absolutely doesn't apply to parents. If a mom needs support, give it. You older (and perhaps wiser) moms may not remember vividly enough the struggle that is toddler-hood. If you do, support those of us going through it with a kind word. If you don't remember it vividly enough, please just keep your mouth shut.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Sheena! You have done it again. You are inspiring me to blog. :). It always bothers me that since becoming a mom I am responsible for everything involved with leaving the house with the kids.
    When my kids have by passed my tolerance. I declare a movie night and we have frozen pizza and eat in front of the TV with a movie. I try not to do it everyday because movies and pizza lose their novelty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I definitely try to save TV time for the bad days too, but I feel they're coming more and more frequently and I'm afraid of becoming a TV mom. Can't wait to read what you wrote!

    ReplyDelete