Monday, March 4, 2013

Things I *Really* Don't Think I Can Live Without

1. My hair straightener. Call me shallow, but I'm not, nor do I ever plan to be, the girl who walks out of the house with wet hair. Some people can pull it off, some people can't and do it anyway, and some people just do their damn hair. I'm the latter.

2. Tweezers/Razors. I'm not hairy (well, my brows are a little nuts if not carefully groomed) and I don't plan to be. End of story.

3. Computer/Internet. Man alive is the internet amazing! I think this so often, especially during deployments. How lucky Erik and I were to email daily or Skype or whatever! I thought often about the military families of yesteryear who waited weeks for a letter, and there I was Skyping with my husband in Iraq, who was so far away it was literally the next day where he was! Not to mention facebook, which has almost completely solved my Need to Keep in Touch vs. I Hate Talking On The Phone quandary as it applies to my far-away friends.

4. Books, electronic or otherwise. Surely this does not require a descriptive sentence. But I really do like my Kindle.

5. Perfume/Cologne. I am a very scent-sensitive person. I attach scents to memories (I am also moved to nausea very easily by some smells), and I love it (not the nausea part, but you get my meaning). Tommy Boy cologne makes me think of this guy I knew in 9th grade. Literally the most conceited person I've ever met in my life, but of course, 9th grade Sheena thought he was the bees knees. Halston 7-14 will always remind me of my biological father. I bet money he STILL wears that stuff. The Liz Claborn perfume in the yellow triangle bottle is what my mom wore when I was young enough to still sit on her lap and breathe her in. It still seems foreign to me that she would wear something else. And, for some reason, the air in summertime evening always takes me back to the summer of 2002. Well, I know the reason, but that's a story for another time.

6. My cell phone. This coincides with item number 3. Aside from the communication it provides during deployments, as someone who has lived thousands of miles away from her family, getting to talk as much as I want for one low monthly fee pretty much rocks.

7. G's music machine. Man those 4 songs haunt my dreams, but I'm pretty sure that's his lovey, and as such has provided me with many more hours of sleep than I'd have gotten otherwise. Erik thinks we should break him, but I slept with a radio on until college! We will have to devise a plan regarding the next child's music machine. The only thing more annoying than one playing all night long, will be two.

Well, 7 is one of my favorite numbers, so I think I'll stop there. I wonder how many of these guys I'll be living without come next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment