Monday, May 27, 2013

Woah! An Update.

It has been awhile since I posted. Once again, we've had a slew of company and (somehow) my 2 year old has enough extra curricular activities that 2-3 mornings a week (mornings = blogging time) are eaten up at swim class, play group or music class.

Erik took off a few days ago for Kentucky and then in a few more days he'll be off to Thailand. He's taking some ROTC students from across the country to work for a few weeks at the Thai Military Academy (apparently you have to speak English to be in the Thai military). It's funny, of all the "exotic" places the Army has sent him, this is the first time I've ever really been jealous. Except for maybe his 3 hour layover in Ireland on his way home from his first tour in Afghanistan, but I 'spose the 16 months he had to spend in country before his 3 hour Irish-layover negate any fun that might have been had. I have a list of goals I hope to complete while he's gone, and the Army graciously extended his trip by a more days, so we'll see if I'm motivated enough to get them complete.

Over the last few weeks, I have grown increasingly concerned that G has the same heart condition as my mom (called Wolf Parkinson White Syndrome - which is an extra electrical system on the heart that sometimes causes it to beat incredibly fast. This is suspected to be the reason we occasionally see news reports of teenaged athletes dropping on playing fields and dying suddenly). Just some things he's said, some times I've felt his heart beating super hard for no reason, etc. made me worry and after speaking to my mom I decided to call the Pediatrician. Thankfully she took me seriously and sent him in for an EKG. We found out last Thursday that his EKG was "normal for age," and we are SUPER relieved. Though it's a pretty easy fix, it would have still been a heart surgery, it still would have put limitations on his life, and it still would have been scary, so we are thrilled that he's A-Okay! To be honest, I was pretty worried about not only the health aspect of this syndrome for G, but also the psychological aspect. Erik and I have absolutely NO intention of pushing the Army on any of our kids, but to have a Syndrome like WPW would have meant it was impossible for G. I think there is a heavy burden among military kids (especially boys) to follow in dad's footsteps, and I can imagine that the only heavier burden is *not* being able to. Anyway, we're incredibly relieved for many reasons.

I suppose this post is less exciting than others, since there is no comedic anecdote or real point to the post, but I have to get back in the swing of blogging the little things so I don't forget them! Point is: Don't everybody sign me up for BlogHer all at once or anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment