Sunday, October 13, 2013

Babies Don't Keep

I have about ten blog ideas swimming around in my head and no time in which to help them come to fruition. On top of having a newborn (yeah, I know, I can only ride that wave for so long. Haha!), Erik has begun coursework for his Masters Degree and that pretty much monopolizes the computer in the evenings (and forget about trying to get this done during the day). The poor guy has a full course load on top of working 50-60 hours per week at the "sham job" that we came here for. He comes home, eats, helps me get the kids bathed and G into bed and then he holes up and does his reading and homework. Saturday and Sunday are his "nights off," so I can't bring myself to use our precious time together blogging. Even though I have such weird anxiety to get these ideas out before I forget them. It's like when the DVR is full - I can't rest until there is ample space for upcoming recordings.

On the evenings Erik is working on the computer (which is in the TV/Family room), P and I go up to my bedroom and watch TV and rock together. I find it very relaxing after a tough day of bonbon eating, and it's actually really helped her get into a routine already - too bad it's still a newborn baby routine. She goes down for the night about 9, wakes to eat at 11 and is down to about 3 wake-ups at night - I can't complain too, too much. I do still feel, in a few ways, like a geographically single parent but I know it's for the betterment of our family. I find myself feeling badly for Erik as well. P is another baby he's having to be away from more than he'd like - albeit for a much safer "mission."  I'm pretty jealous of his mission, though. I can't wait until it's my turn to go back to school. I just need to figure out what I want to do with my life.

Until then though, I'm trying my very, very, very best to ignore the dirty dishes, the dust bunnies, and the never-put-away toys, and enjoy time with my littles. It's passing far too quickly.

 
Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

- Ruth Hulbert Hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment