Thursday, October 31, 2013

The Lazy Potty Trainers

We've got to get this job done because I want G to start preschool in January, and they won't take him with diapers. I get it, but man alive is this job daunting. I put it off when I was pregnant because I was tired and pregnant. I didn't consider the time crunch I'd be up against by putting it off.

Here's the thing, though:

If you wait until your kid is practically begging to start peeing on the potty, the training process isn't too terrible.

We equipped ourselves with a frog potty, a couple of packs of stickers and a fire hat my mom sent (that he gets to wear on the potty and turn on the lights and siren if he goes).

Stupidly, I started hitting it hard on Monday, knowing we had to be out pretty much all day on Tuesday and Wednesday - so I'm pretty sure Monday doesn't even count. So here we are, starting fresh.

We turned on a space heater in the family room (it's a furnished basement so it's cold down here) and G is running around pants-less-ly playing, sipping on juice (which he seldom gets so he's drinking a ton) and peeing away. The first day he got to get a sticker for each pee, and I swear, he peed 45 times in an hour. And over these two days we've only had two accidents!

Moral of the story is: Lazy parenting pays off. Sometimes. Okay, maybe just this once.

Adding a sticker to his road. That sucker was filled up front and back by hour 2.

Cheesin' in his fire hat. Love our 50's cabinetry.

1 comment:

  1. Good job! It's useless to try and potty train before they are ready. So not lazy parenting...smart parenting! :) If you learn the secret of getting him to poop in the potty, send that my way. I swear she thinks the toilet is going to eat her if she's on it for longer than 5 seconds

    ReplyDelete