Friday, May 2, 2014

Sweet Freddi

When I was in high school my family hosted an exchange student from Australia. It was such an awesome experience to learn about her culture, try the crazy foods her family sent (Vegemite! UGH!), and to get to know someone so different but so similar to myself. And even more incredible than that, we've been able to watch each others families grow and change through the wonders of the internet. The world has never seemed bigger nor has it seemed smaller than it does as I write this.

Another of the unexpected benefits to hosting a student is all the gatherings of other "local" exchange students and their families. I got to know people my age from all over the globe, and one of them was my sweet friend Freddi. She and I have managed to keep in touch over the years (I'm a terrible long distance communicator!) through letters, emails, and Facebook. Sometimes I can't believe I have such a precious friend born from such a short time in our lives. And born from a time when there were no digital cameras and I can't find my stinking photos of us together!

Anyway, a few months ago (because I'm that far behind!) a box showed up on my porch with some customs slips and "Merry Christmas!" written on it. Erik brought it in rather confused looking - it was February after all.

That egg shaped thing toward the bottom there? That's the best thing
that ever happened to me. It's a chocolate egg WITH a toy inside!

 
I opened it to find all kinds of (ridiculously delicious) German treats and some handmade gifts from my sweet German friend! She took the time to hand make items for Erik, myself, and two stuffed ducks for the kids (her first sewing projects!!). It was such a sweet, thoughtful gift - and since it took so stinking long to get here, the toys didn't get lost in the new toy shuffle of Christmas!

Grant latched on to his duck immediately, insisting that it go in his crib with him. The thing about him though is that he likes to have a ton of stuffies in his bed with him, but they all have to stay at the foot - he doesn't want to cuddle with them.

He moves too much. Notice P flapping her duckie
beside him.

The other day when we went to Ft. Drum to visit another friend, he asked to bring his duckie along, and he's been snuggling with it when he sleeps ever since! I think he knows the love that went in to it!

I am so lucky to have such a thoughtful friend in my life! Thank you Freddi, for being incredible to me and to my family! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment