Saturday, May 3, 2014

Wine and Mustaches

Last weekend the kids and I packed up everything we own (because that's what you travel with when you have kids) and chucked it 4.5 hours north to Ft. Drum, NY to visit my best friend Mandy and her little boy. Except the trip took 6 hours because my phone lost signal (IE my GPS died) right in the middle of the trip and we ventured up some desolate county road for half an hour before I decided we were going East when we should be going North, and then instead of going through Rochester we meandered around the Finger Lakes region. The proverbial wheels came off about 45 minutes from Mandy's -  so if I had just stayed on course, things would have gone super well. But we got there! And it was my first road trip with both kids so I felt pretty super mom-esque because I'm pretty sure I only yelled once. Everyone (well, I didn't, but everyone else) managed to pee themselves and get their pants all wet, but damn it, we made it. I guess I don't sound so super mom-y after all...

Anyway, we ventured up there for her sweet baby's first birthday - but really, any excuse to get together is good enough for us! Erik couldn't join us because he had to work, and Mandy's husband is deployed, so it turned in to a nice girls (and kids) weekend. We both firmly believe in early bed times for kids, so after about 7:30PM we were able to take our mom hats off and put our friend hats on (and wine in our glasses, of course!). It is so awesome to catch up with a good friend - someone who is so much like you that you can absolutely let it all hang out. Is there anything more refreshing? Also, if you don't have a friend that has a Masters Degree in early childhood related business, you need to think about getting one. There is NO ONE better to bounce child raising ideas off of. I have two of them, and you can't have either of them, but I'm telling you - it's awesome!

As I said, we were there to celebrate a birthday, but we also managed to squeeze in a Target run (we don't have one out here in the sticks), and P cut her first TWO teeth! Although, to be honest, that was less than exciting when you consider that the three of us were sharing a room and teething is... loud... and cranky... And managed to happen the night before we were supposed to drive home, so I felt certain I was going to fall asleep at the wheel and we'd all go up in flames. Thank you to God and caffeine for allowing us to avoid that fate! So yeah, teeth, a birthday and Target are pretty much all we did - and it was still awesome! You know you have a good friend when you're content to just be in  each others company without a lot of other commotion.

I really like how my last two posts have been about sweet friends. I'm lucky.

Oh, and on the way home we stopped at Wegmans. And if you know Wegmans, you know that was the icing on the freaking cake!

Celebrating W's Moustache Bash!
She stuck this in her mouth shortly after and I didn't notice
(it was on the table next to us). Mandy probably saved her life by fishing it out.
 
They LOVE each other, so riding in this cart together was probably the best thing
that could have ever happened to them. Seriously, Wegmans is good for EVERYONE!
Too bad they couldn't be bothered to look at the camera at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment