Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Give Me Back My Hometown

G is in this ultra-inquisitive (re: never stops talking) phase. One of his favorite things to do is to pick a word or two out of a song on the radio and ask what they mean. I like it. We usually listen to country music (yeah, yeah...) and so far I haven't had to address any super awkward topics.

So the other day we heard Give Me Back My Hometown on the radio and he asked me what a hometown was. I told him it's the town you're from. And he asked the question all military families struggle to answer "What's my hometown?"

I kinda stuttered through an answer that culminated with "you were born in Honolulu, but so far, you've grown up here in Bradford." Close enough for government work, I thought. Wakkaa wakkaa wakkaa.

Until later he said "When we move from here, will that be my hometown?" Um... kind of?

A few years ago I read an article about how military kids were offended when people would ask them where they were from. They assumed that everyone should just know they weren't "from anywhere," and to be honest, I felt that the whole article portrayed military kids as having a huge chip on their shoulders. I do NOT want to accommodate such feelings, but seriously, until you're out-of-high-school-ish age, isn't everywhere you've lived a big part of your "hometown" experience? How could one be greater than the other, when so much growing and learning and roosting goes on in each? Maybe I just don't understand because I was born in the same town my parents were born in and went to school with the same kids from kindergarten until senior year. I have a clearly defined hometown - that I haven't been to in like 2 years.

Interestingly, this discussion coincided perfectly with the Army putting out the list of assignments for us to choose from after ILE. There are many lingering questions about this list and a few unknowns about our timeline, so I'm not quite as excited to "pick a future" as I have been in previous years, but more info should be forthcoming and we will be on our way in a few short months. I have enjoyed our time in Bradford, but I miss the Army. I miss Army wives. I miss people who've already answered the "Where's my hometown?" question with far more grace than I probably did.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Sheena! My father was not in the military but his job ensured that we didn't live in any house longer than 5 years. As a result, I don't necessarily feel like I have a hometown. I identify with both Phoenix, AZ, where I spent the majority of my elementary years and the Philly suburbs, where I went to high school. My husband was born and raised in the same house (his father was also born and raised in that house!).

    ReplyDelete