Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Somebody's Someone

To the world he was a total stranger
Who kept us safe and out of danger
But now he's just a picture on TV
Somebody's memory
He was somebody's someone
-Lonestar

Have you ever had an entire set of friends that you've never even met? I do, and I don't know what I'd do without them.

A few years ago when planning our wedding I stumbled across a message board for military brides - I quickly became an addict. Though we've been married over a year, I still frequent the board as some of the women on there have become very dear to me. Many of us are married now, having children (or 2 or 3 or 4), infact the "brides" population is probably the minority - once you join, you really can't leave. We are each others rocks. We've seen eachother through deployments, weddings, divorces, children, sickness and tragedy. Through ups and downs we are there for each other - funny, since sometimes we don't even know eachothers last names. We are held together with a bond that only we understand - what it's like to be a military wife. And right now, one of us is living our collective worst nightmare.

Cpt. Mike Medders was killed in Iraq last week. That's where the lyrics at the top of this blog come from. Cpt. Medders was somebody's someone, and that someone was our Stacey. She is the second of us MBs to lose her fiance/husband overseas, and unfortunately she probably won't be the last. But thank God we have eachother. We're all devastated, even those who didn't "know" her very well - because she is one of us, and that made him one of us.

Rest in peace, Cpt. Medders. Thank you for your service and your bravery. You will never be forgotten, even by those of us who never knew you.

Please take a minute to pray for Stacey, and their families. I know they need every one that they can get.

2 comments:

  1. I don't even know her but just reading about it makes me sick. I will keep her in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Those lyrics feel so right right now.

    ReplyDelete