Friday, August 20, 2010

Musings From a Mom-to-Be

I think mothers dupe non-mothers into pregnancy by not telling them all the crazy ass side effects of pregnancy. Maybe it’s not a vast conspiracy, but I feel a little uninformed. I knew pregnant ladies had to pee a lot, but I assumed it was because the baby was sitting on their bladder. I didn’t know that it was because EVERY.SINGLE.TIME you take a sip of water you have to pee. Last month we went on vacation and I told my mother-in-law it was a tour of the northeast via bathroom.

Other things I didn’t know:Crazy back pain
Sensitive skin
Absolute exhaustion
Being super picky about food/grossed out by things you once loved
Pregnant women really do get a little stupider. I have been late for appointments, left home without my shoes and worn shirts inside out.

One crazy side effect from own experience that I’ll share: my own personal case: Gagging. I don’t usually get sick, but I gag. I gag after I eat, I gag when I laugh. I gag when I talk, I gag when I think about gagging. It doesn’t hurt or anything so it’s not a big deal but OH is it awkward. The first few times it happened I got up and ran to the bathroom thinking I was going to be sick but I never was. Erik would follow me in there to make sure I’m okay, but now I just stay where I am and try to cover my mouth (like that makes the loud noise of gagging a little less obnoxious…) and Erik just laughs and laughs. My friend Carmen laughs so hard about it she cries. Thanks guys… It is getting better though. The other day I was able to brush my teeth like a regular person! But then this morning I was back to choking on the toothbrush.

All that insanity aside, it’s pretty intense to know that it’s all happening because you are growing a little person inside of you. Never mind that it’s sucking the life (and intelligence) out of you at the same time…

2 comments:

  1. to be fair, i would have shared this information with you if you had asked me! i hope that you survive the pregnancy, because things get a whole lot worse afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, definitely intense.

    i'll share more crazy side effects of pregnancy...and labor/delivery/recovery if you want! just not in comment form. :)

    also, i can tell you some of the very weird/gross things that can happen to even the cutest of newborns.

    one comforting thing, i think, is that even if you do feel terrible, pee a lot, etc, you really do kinda forget how bad it was once it's over.

    ReplyDelete