Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Outpost : An Untold Story of American Valor

Last weekend Erik and I traveled (ALONE! Unencumbered by baby gear!!) to Washington DC to celebrate the release of Jake Tapper's book, The Outpost: An Untold Story of American Valor. The book was written about 4 Battalions’ tours in Afghanistan, 1-91 CAV, 6-4 CAV, 3-61 CAV, and in Book 1, the BN Erik served in at Ft. Drum, 3-71 CAV.

In the book you can read about the lives of men you've likely only heard about: LTC Fenty, SFC Monti, CPT Bostick, LT Keating, just to name a few. Men who were and are more than just names on outposts in Afghanistan. You can read about my own husband and just a few examples of his bravery, and far less importantly, you can read the email he sent to me when he told me that his deployment had been extended by 4 months and that I had to cancel our wedding (an email that was sent only 2 weeks before he should have marched into the gym at Ft. Drum to be welcomed home).


The book release party was held at the Newseum, appropriately, and many of the troops from the 3 BNs focused on in the book were in attendance. After the party kicked off, toasts were made and then a few Soldiers presented Mr. Tapper with tokens of their appreciation for writing the book. One of which was a flag that was one of just a few things rescued from the burning operations center of COP Keating before it was evacuated. Trust me when I tell you there wasn't a dry eye in the house.

It has been my belief for a while that 3-71 CAVs participation in OEF VIII-IX was a perfect storm, the likes of which many hadn't seen or wouldn't believe. I'm so grateful that a light has been shone on the heroics of these men, and so many others, who I believe make up the new Greatest Generation. Until now, so little was known about those who have given SO much.

The weekend also brought about the reunion of old college buddies, delicious sushi (that I have desperately needed since we left HI) and many sites visited, including Arlington on Veterans Day. I think Erik and I were both stricken by the number of names we recognized the latest sections of the cemetery. Honestly, there had to be at least 20 people we knew or had connections to. Twenty. Can you imagine? It's not that we didn't know they were gone, but just the sheer magnitude of walking around and just happening up familiar names really brought things home to us, even more so than they already were to this Army family. We are so lucky Erik has come home safely from his 3 deployments.

I remember thinking that night at the party that I was in the company of heroes. And then it occurred to me that as a military spouse (a term I hate to use to define myself, by the way) I am lucky enough in the company of heroes every single day of my life.

 (The men of 3-71CAV that were able to attend, and Jake Tapper)
 
Here is the link to the transcript of an interview Mr. Tapper did regarding the book. It's the best interview I've seen yet. http://www.hughhewitt.com/transcripts.aspx?id=dd755e93-a1b1-4ba6-b185-9e7ac964f87b

***I don't feel educated enough to write a full review of the book, because the truth is I haven't been able to finish it. I read, remember, cry, and put it down again for a while. I have read a good portion of it (2/3ish, which is about 99% more than expected), and someday I hope to finish it, but that day is just not today. I can say that it seems as accurate as it could be for a book whose story began more than 5 years ago (by Erik's description, not my own).

No comments:

Post a Comment