Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Giving Tuesday

After Thanksgiving Thursday comes Black Friday. After Black Friday is Cyber Monday, and after Cyber Monday is Giving Tuesday.

I LOVE Giving Tuesday! I only learned about it a few years ago, but I'm definitely in the "giving" spirit, especially since I feel like I've been "giving" the economy so much the past few days!

We try to give through-out the year to various causes that are close to our hearts, be they monetary or through service, but there is just something about the Christmas season that makes me want to give, give, give!!

I've been thinking a lot about the spirit of Christmas - which I LOVE! I love the build up, the hustle and bustle, the cold (which was hard to live without when we lived in Hawaii, I just couldn't get my mind around Christmas shopping in Bermuda shorts), and I adore thinking up gifts to give to people. I actually get super depressed on Christmas morning when the gifts are opened because I know it's all over. I guess I'm not the only one that feels this way, but man does it hit me hard! I think it'll get better when G is older and we can play all day with new toys, watch Christmas movies and partake in whatever other traditions we have formed as a family.

I digress... Anyway, every year since we were married, Erik and I have "adopted" some angels from the Salvation Army Angel Tree. I love walking around the store, trying to think of the perfect gifts - what they want and some of what they need. I think Erik secretly likes it too, even though he says he hates shopping. This year, we were going to adopt from the tree that the Student Government of St. Bonaventure had put up (because you know I have a soft spot for Student Government!), but would you believe that by the time E got there to "adopt" our kids all the angels were gone?! I was so thrilled that so many had taken time to give to others! This really is a great community!!!

So anyway, in the spirit of Giving Tuesday, I'd like to share with you some links to my favorite causes, all of which are near and dear to my heart in some way. I know there are people out there reading this, even if you don't comment, so please know folks, that if you can (and I know times are tough) any charity would love to have any donation - of even just a few dollars - these are just a few of our favorites. Thank you in advance for considering!

WWW.SFCMonti.COM leads you to the Memorial Scholarship Fund set up in memory of SFC Jared Monti, fallen 10th Mountain Soldier and Medal of Honor Awardee. You can read about Erik's connection to SFC Monti here. Though I never had the pleasure of knowing him, I never heard anyone say a single negative thing about him, even when he was alive, and that to me is a hell of a testimony.

WWW.AmericanWidowProject.ORG leads you to the site for the American Widow Project. I thank God every day that I've never needed their support, but I do have friends who have, and they have been given so much by Taryn and the ladies of the AWP - they've been given their lives and their happiness back. And after you losing your partner, those are the biggest battles.

WWW.SantasCause.COM - Santa's Cause is a service provided to pre-approved families (who have been donated by teachers, counselors, and other third parties) where kids write a letter to Santa and their wishes are made to come true. It was started in part by some family members of mine and serves the Oklahoma City area. They are nearing their 30th year and every year it gets bigger and bigger!

WWW.Cancer.ORG - I like to donate to the American Cancer Society instead of Susan G Komen because in the past few years I have felt that Komen misappropriates funds. This is just my opinion, and I don't want to mire down the post in links, but you can google if you so choose.

WWW.RedCross.ORG/Donation - The Red Cross does so much for so many, you probably don't realise the extent of their charity. They help those effected by disaster, they help the military, they help the ill, they help many.

So anyway, that's my schpeal. Happy Giving Tuesday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment