Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My Kid Rocks

Okay, if you don't want to read a gushy mommy post, you better just close the browser.

On Wednesdays I take G to a music class in the next (big) town over. The kids sing, dance, play instruments, it's super awesome.

Anyway, today we sang a song about greeting your neighbor and danged if my kid didn't go right to the new girl to greet her. She left him hanging though, so he went around the circle to every mom in the room and shook their hand. Not at all intimidated by the fact they're 3x his size and complete strangers (we've only been to the class a couple of times). And when it's time to dance, he dances right out into the center of the circle and gets all the kids involved with his stomping, hopping, skipping and galloping around. He always says "shank shoo" when given an instrument AND when he takes it back for clean up, he says "hi" when we walk in, and a great big "bbbbyyyeeeee!" when we leave. He's the cutest kid in the class (not that I'm partial), and gosh darn it, people like him!

But seriously, I just can't believe what a charismatic little person he is. I don't know where he gets it from - Erik and I *can* be that way, but it's not innate in us the way it so clearly is in him. My friend Mandy once said he's going to be the President someday, and man oh man, I'm starting to think she might be right - that kid can work a room.

I was worried what having only one parent around for his first year would do to him. Especially since he was a boy missing his dad. But he's all boy, trucks, cars, animals, you name it, he loves it. And he's got the confidence of... well... I don't even know what to put here. But he's got more confidence than most adults I know, that's for sure!

I'd like to think *I* did something right, but I'm not so sure. Sometimes I think little people are just born with old souls - and I guess maybe G is one of them.

2 comments:

  1. This is incredibly cute. I feel the need to call my Mum and tell her I love her after reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! Thanks! You totally should. I've been trying to teach G for weeks to say "Love you, Mama!" and I bet that I'll never tire of hearing it once he finally picks it up. :)

    ReplyDelete