Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tammy Romesha is My New Hero

It's something all military spouses and parents who've lived with a deployment are aware of: Our Soldiers will face danger, and they'll probably lie to us about it. Maybe "lie" is a strong word since it's not malicious, so we'll say omit. Our Soldiers will face danger, and they'll omit it from any conversation about said deployment. I know so many wives who "omit" things from their conversations when their husbands are deployed, it stands to reason that husbands would "omit" things as well. They don't want us to think about it when they have to leave again. They don't want their nightmares to become ours.

My point is - Tammy Romesha can't stick her head in the sand and not think about the things her husband has dealt with. She is no longer afforded the luxury of having the scary parts of her husbands military service "omitted" in order to help her sleep better at night. She knows her husband looked death in the face, accepted it, and marched on in an effort to save his friends. She knows he heard the last words that SGT Joshua Hardt spoke, "They have an RPG pointed right at me,". She knows he had to spill blood. She knows he spilled his own blood. She knows what he had to give up in order to keep going, and by God's grace get back to her.

I don't know if he glossed over the story of the overrun of COP Keating to her, my suspicion is that he did initially, and I can't say I don't understand that decision. But now she knows and she's had to think about it.

She knows something else too, though: She knows what we in the mlitary community are so grateful for, yet so often take for granted: a second chance. When our Soldiers march into that hangar, or that gymnasium or onto that field after just arriving from overseas, our entire lives become a second chance at perfecting our relationship. We get a second chance when so many don't. I don't know Tammy Romesha, but she and her husband both seem great. And I for one, am incredibly grateful - not only for my own second chances - but for theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment