Thursday, February 8, 2018

Tribe, Part 2.

I wrote recently about my fantastic group of friends here.

Now I'm writing about the saying goodbye.

As always happens, "the Army goes rolling along," and so must we. But it's happening in spades to our little friend group. Half of us are leaving and taking half the children in our little village. I have never seen such a mass exodus from one group at one time, but I'm sure it's not really uncommon. Especially now that the Army is trying to move everyone during the same 2 spans each year, instead of all willy-nilly all the time.

Up until recently, we too thought we would be on our way out the door this summer, which I felt would somehow help soften the blow for my children. Moving = New Adventure. 

Staying with no friend? Haven't come up with a tag for that.

Let it be said, however, that while most families at similar points in their service member's career are moving every year or two, we are very lucky to be here for another year, bringing us to almost 4.5 years in one place. What a treat for an Army kid to be at the same school for the first 3 years of his education!

Having been here for what seems like ages (our neighbors all around have us have turned over at least once, sometimes twice) I have been able to show my kids that once old friends move out, new friends move in. This has worked well for casual friends. I'm not sure how to broach this with friends that we see every day. Maybe it helps that they see friends come and go often in class. I don't know. I don't even know how to wrap this up cleverly.

I picked this, my kids didn't. I love this adventure. I hope my kids do too, because that's the only way the juice is worth the squeeze.

Now accepting tips and book recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment