Saturday, August 11, 2018

No Roots

I started writing yesterdays blog in my head, so when I sat down to actually put pen to paper (fingers to keyboard?) I googled "quotes about roots" and everything was about permanency and storms causing deep roots and roots grounding you and it all just made me sad. I wanted something that tied the post about trees to my kids and I guess I just didn't think it through because roots ARE permanent and we aren't. I was hoping for quotes about metaphoric roots, or I don't even know what exactly, but suddenly I found myself teary eyed wondering if we're screwing up our kids because they'll never know where the hell they belong in the world. Oh metaphorically they'll know they belong where we are, but physically? Tangibly? Hawaii? Pennsylvania? Georgia? Oklahoma? Gah. For my little small town girl pea brain, it's almost too much. How could they NOT know the same 40 kids from kindergarten through senior year like I did? It seems so foreign to me.

No Roots, Alice Merton

I like standing still, boy that's just a wishful plan
Ask me where I come from, I'll say a different land
But I've got memories and travel like gypsies in the night
I can't get the numbers, and play the guessing name
It's just the place that changes, the rest is still the same
But I've got memories and travel like gypsies in the night
And a thousand times I've seen this road,
A thousand times

I've got no roots, but my home was never on the ground
I've got no roots, but my home was never on the ground
I've got no roots uh uh uh uh
I've got no roots uh uh uh uh

No comments:

Post a Comment