Sunday, January 4, 2009

"Neon Green"

Last Tuesday at work we had a "coffee hour" to send off one of the girls who is moving to another office. Since we have had 2 other coffee hours in the span of 2 weeks, it was decided that it would be a potluck instead of someone just picking up some muffins. Well I've noticed here that you don't have to bring breakfast food to a breakfast time potluck, which I kind of like. At this one there were Vienna Sausages (they're a big deal here, you prepare them with some kind of icky sauce), noodles (take out noodles! What does it say to you that you can get take out noodles here at 7:30AM?), cake, cookies, cream cheese pinwheels, sushi, and this rice dish with dicon (which I now know is neon green colored pickled turnup, or is it radish?) , seaweed and SPAM.

Well, I was running late because I had a phone call and when I got downstairs to the meeting area, everyone had already gotten their plates and was digging in. Lynn, the secretary offered me some of her rice (and SPAM) dish, and I said "Sure... but, whats the neon green business on the top?". Everyone laughs, and it's brought up that for our Christmas celebration we went to a sushi bar/fish market and I thought this particular sushi roll had a slice of Velveeta on it but really it was pressed eggs (it looked like Velveeta!). Everyone laughs again and talk about how gross Velveeta is. HELLO! You're eating Vienna Sausages! But I digress. Anyway, the rice with the neon green stuff (dicon) was tasty! I even had a second scoop! (We laugh about it, but I really do enjoy trying out all their different dishes. I need to think of things to take for them to try. Calf fries, anyone?)

So I told you all that to tell you this: At 4PM that afternoon I get a call from Lynn. (Backstory: English is a second language for many folks in my office, including Lynn). She says "Sheena, I have some extra..." (long pause) "....neon green. Would you like it?" HAHA!

Food = Love here in Hawaii (much like at home). And they say if you're offered food, you're in. I guess I'm in. That or everyone likes to have a laugh at the crazy girl from Oklahoma.

PS - The "neon green" was delicious on my California Roll for dinner!

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to dig out a picture of your first sushi experience...you look less than enthused. I'm impressed, SheenaP, very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha

    I was at a restaurant in Chickasha and I asked what Calf Fries were. I'm not kidding that table of 12 and the waitresses nearby and the other tables surrounding us all stopped and starred at me. They thought it was hilarious that 1) I actually asked and 2) I didn't know what they were.

    ReplyDelete