Thursday, April 4, 2013

It's All About Inflection

When we lived in Hawaii and we'd drive through the Ko'olou Mountains after the rain on our way to breakfast, or past the North Shore to see great friends or just hop on a plane to Maui for a weekend away, one of us would dreamily say to the other "I can't believe we live here..." as we gazed out the window at things that some people only get to see in pictures (which do NOT do them justice, by the way) and soaked up all the amazing scenery and life in a place I for one didn't even want to move to. Boy was I wrong...

Now that we're in our 8th month of snow here in "paradise" and we see something about Hawaii, or that just reminds us (like the calendar in the kitchen) one of us (usually me) says "I can't believe we live here," (imagine my downward inflection here, folks). It's not that we don't like it here, seriously, we do. We don't even have a big problem with having come from the center of the universe to, well, not the center of the universe, but the snow. My God the snow! I'm done.

Anyway, same phrase. Two wildly different meanings.

It's all about inflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment