Friday, August 15, 2014

A Mother's Book of Secrets

Earlier I talked about my Book a Month resolution, and I wanted to share one of the other books I have read while working on We Are Water. It's called A Mother's Book of Secrets, and it's by Linda Eyre (which if you've been paying attention is, in my opinion, THE parenting guru) and one of her daughters. This book has been out of print for a few years and I had to wait and wait for it to show up on a used book website I like in order to even be able to read it. It wasn't *quite* what I expected, but it still filled me with the nourishment I needed to keep marching and doing the absolute best I could, even in the middle of Erik's 7-week TDY to Thailand.

I love the idea of deliberate parenting, which we've discussed before. So I'll let the book itself, or rather, my highlights and dog-ears, do the talking for me.

After dog-earing every other page came up with a different plan. This was probably less
than 10 pages in.
 

And just started underlining manically.

Those highlights aren't mine, but I enjoyed the peek into the psyche of the books previous owner.

I was pretty emphatic about this page. Previous owner and I were definitely on the same page
(pardon the pun) with this chapter.

 
At the end, I decided to channel my Mima and initial and date the book once I was finished. All the books
on her bookshelf were like that and some of them had a whole column of dates and initials. I always liked
that and have decided to continue the idea. Especially since this is a book I'll refer back to often.

No comments:

Post a Comment