Tuesday, August 19, 2008

An Uninvited Guest

A few months ago (well, we still lived in Lawton, so I'd say 6 or 8 months ago) Erik came proudly into the bedroom as I was getting ready for work and announced that Baxter is a "ratter". It seems he and Erik had been outside taking out the trash when Erik moved a piece of cardboard and uncovered a mouse. Baxter chased it down, pawed at it, dismembered it and then barked at Erik as if to say "Okay dad, I got it!". I was seriously grossed out, but Erik was pleased. So Baxters a ratter. He pees himself when he's displeased with things, but he can chew up a rat. Whatever.

You know what he isn't? A gecko-er. This evening after dinner with Melissa and her family at a restaurant we have dubbed "Itallian Deliciousness" (because we didn't know it's name for so long) I was minding my business watching Jon and Kate Plus 8 on TiVo when I noticed a fleck of green on the wall between the book cases. It was a gecko. I don't know how it got in or when, but it was in and I was NOT pleased. Melissa had dealt with this problem already so I called her to find out what one does with a gecko in their home (why does this crap always happen when our husbands are away?!). So I moved out the bookcase, and he went behind the chair. I moved out the chair and we went toward the bookcase. So I got a tupperware and tried to catch him, all the while squealing like a little girl (I'm sure) so then he started going toward the door and I didn't know how to guide him so I started spraying at him with spider killer to make him go the other way (I tried not to hit him, just scare him into going out the door). Finally he took the hint (AFTER getting into the window sill and turning white to blend in with the blinds) and got next to the door so I was able to scoop him out with my tupperware lid. All the while Baxter just sat on the couch, I don't even know if he woke up to see what the hell was going on. And Melissa is laughing her butt off, of course.

I'm going to be extra cautious about leaving the screen door cracked, now. I suspect its the gecko that likes to hang out, upside down on the screen - but I don't have much to base that on.

So anyway, now I'm certain to have nightmares about geckos. Erik should get a kick out of that little story when he calls...

The job interview went well, they're interviewing 3 people and they have 2 slots so my chances are good. The job sounds fun, but its DEFINITELY not as laid back as City National, and that was part of what I loved about working there. At CNB I was allowed to pen my own correspondance if I so chose (which I often did) at BOH it is strictly against policy to write your own - infact, if you do, you have to have it approved by legal, marketing, and your supervisors supervisor. The real kicker though, is that as a policy no vacations are allowed in November or December. That means I couldn't go home for Christmas, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I've done Christmas alone before, and it's not that great of a time. On the other hand, who am I to make a big deal about being here for Christmas when our soldiers are spending every other Christmas away from home. Wow, I just thought about that... Although I'd hate to be alone at Christmas, it could be worse...

Food for thought... Anyway, I'm off to bed.

3 comments:

  1. So geckos. I had to learn to live with them when we were in south FL. I never did get used to finding them in the shower, but I eventually embraced their role in my life. They ate the ambitious mosquitos! Thank you geckos!

    Side note: good luck with the job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eekksss, you are a brave girl Sheena :) Glad he got the hint and exited your house. pheeww!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was laughing at the whole sitation (and the eeekks!!), not you! You should have seen ME chasing the gecko! And yes, why does this only happen when the guys are away?? good luck with your other interview!! sending good thoughts your way..

    ReplyDelete