Monday, November 18, 2013

Thankful #7: Beckett

G was just a few months old when I found out my sister was expecting and giving the baby up for adoption. I emailed Erik (who was deployed) to tell him to call me - I wanted the baby. I couldn't imagine a part of our family floating around out in the world without knowing he was loved and how he was being taken care of.

When I brought it up to Erik, I think he thought I was joking. But he carefully thought about it and told me that he didn't think it was a good idea. On top of the obviously familial ramifications (what would happen if/when she wanted him back?) there was the fact that Erik left us when G was just a few months old - for him to come home to two babies just over the age of 1 was a little bit more than he could wrap his mind around. I was sad, but I knew he was right.

And a few months later, that little boy found his way into the world and into the arms of the sweetest momma a baby could ever find. And not only do his parents and siblings love him beyond belief, they allow my family to see him whenever we want to. His mom texts my parents photos of him the same way I send pictures of her other grandkids and he and his siblings call my mom Grammie, just like my kids do. They firmly believe (as I do) that the more people that love your kids, the better.

I am so grateful that little boy came into the world to bring so many people joy, and I'm so grateful his family has welcomed ours with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment