Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Thankful #8: The Army

I'm sure this might be an unlikely thing for which to be grateful but I am.

The Army has given me some of the most important people and experiences of my life:

Without the Army I never would have met my husband. If Erik hadn't been stationed in Oklahoma for 6 months in 2004, our paths never, ever would have crossed.


Without the Army, I wouldn't have met many of the incredible people I have in my life. Some of the very best friends I have were brought into my life by the cruelest mistress of all.
  
  
 
 
Without the Army, I wouldn't know how strong I am. I once thought I knew - but I had no idea. More than that, my life wouldn't be peppered with other people who are stronger than I am.

Without the Army, I never would have gotten to see this much of the world. I mean, I guess maybe I would have, but I doubt it. I never really needed to leave Oklahoma.

 
   
 

Without the Army, our lives wouldn't be this secure. Erik majored in History. I majored in Political Science. Those aren't million dollar majors, folks. (Although, neither is the Army)

Without the Army, I wouldn't know to stay the hell away from the commissary on payday. You think you know, but you have no idea - until you're standing in the back of the store by the frozen foods waiting in line for a cashier.

Without the Army, I wouldn't know what it was like to see 500 soldiers march into gym after 12 or 15, or in this case 16 months away.

Ft. Drum, 2007

I wouldn't know what it was like to nervously look for my husband in a crowd of thousands and run to him for a first hug in several months. I wouldn't know the feeling of loss when he left, either, but that feeling of gratitude when returns is indescribable to anyone that's never felt it.

Welcome Home #1: June, 2007

Welcome Home #2: October, 2009

Welcome Home #3: May, 2012
 

2 comments:

  1. It's a wonderful thing to be thankful. I love your BlogSpot and your attitude. I wish you well.

    RETA@ http://evenhaazer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete