Monday, April 18, 2016

Soccer and Self Esteem

As a parent, you try your hardest to build your kids up. But it's possible I've gone too far.

G has started playing soccer with the Y league. The kids on his team range from ages 3 to 5, and some are first timers, some are second timers and some (like he) are third timers. Now, let's be honest. The first few go-arounds with team sports at such a young age are so much more about socialization and *not* staring at the birds and shapes of clouds in the sky and more on the ball. I get that and we have definitely gone through that ourselves.

At the first practice I wasn't sure what to expect. He hasn't exactly been known for his focus or attention span. But I was pleasantly surprised. He wasn't well focused because he was busy meeting all the new kids but Erik has been working with him and he's got some serious power behind his kick!

HOWEVER

At the second practice he began announcing to everyone that he was the best player. "Stand back guys, this is going to be the best kick all day!!!!!""I'm the best!! Check this out!!!! I'm smart too, you know." So now we're working on that. Because (and I see my kids clearly, people, so this isn't just mom talking...) he really is one of the best players on the team. So he seems extra douch-y announcing his mad skillz on the field. Is it wrong to say your kid seems douch-y? Probably. But if someone else's kid was making these statements, I might think the same about him, so.... You know me, I like to call a spade a spade. ;)

So at the third practice, during our pre-practice pep-talk, when I'm usually recounting our plan "focus on coach" and "talk with the kids afterward" and "be a good example to the younger players" I have to now add in "You're an EXCELLENT player, but it's not nice to point it out over and over and over...."

But really, soccer is going super well this year. They're the Pirates. The Pirates with the most patient coach on the planet. Because let's talk about what a crappy job that would be. Noooo thanks. God bless people who like other peoples children! Teachers and volunteer coaches make the world to 'round!

Surely you recognize that blonde-headed number 10 there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment