Monday, December 23, 2013

At the Mall

Then:
I was mad that when Soldiers died their spouses had to choose between receiving their retirement OR their life insurance benefits.

I was mad that whatever amount of money they chose to take was heavily taxed.

I was mad that (minor) children were paying taxes on money they inherited from dads they never met.

And I'm still mad. It seems so unfair.

Now I'm pissed.

The Bipartisan Budget Act passed last week and took with it any semblance of gratitude to our troops ever expressed by our elected leaders.

And I can't help but think that I, and a few other people I've seen chatter about this on Facebook, are the only ones who noticed. Why is no one as pissed off as I am?!

I'm not even mad about the fact that my family was just robbed of $124,000 over the course of my husbands retirement, or that now we're going to have to pay even more out of pocket if we ever choose not to live on post again. It's irritating, but both Erik and I know the budget has to be balanced and we're willing to do our part. Not that we really had a choice...

No, I'm mad because of what no one has talked about yet.

The bill that just took $124,000 out of my family piggy bank, just took $80,000-$120,000 out of the pockets wounded soldiers who had to be medically discharged because of their injuries. Additionally, it takes some of the same effects in the lives of folks who are living without their Soldier spouse or parent. That means, if you went to war and got your leg blown off, your retirement just got cut. If you kissed your husband goodbye and watched him get onto one of those damn buses that took him to a plane, the next time you saw him was in a body bag and the amount the government was paying you to somehow make up for the fact your spouse is DEAD just got cut.

For years Erik has been quoting something he read somewhere along the way "the military is at war, Americans are at the mall," and I didn't really believe him until now.

Here's a list of the leaders who voted to pass the budget bill, and cut military benefits in the process.


I'm hopeful everyone remembers this at election time. I know I certainly will.

No comments:

Post a Comment