Monday, December 16, 2013

Low Key Weekend

We had such a lovely, relaxed weekend this weekend, I can't help but share it.

Friday night was Erik's last late night of school work until mid-January. I think I've mentioned before that he's been working on his masters degree, and does all his work after work once we get the kids in bed. We barely see each other during the week apart from short daily meetings at the breakfast and dinner table where we referee and love on crying babies.

Saturday morning I let Erik sleep in and G and I got up and made Egg Nog pancakes (incredible, BTW! I just used the Pioneer Woman's recipe and replaced the milk with Nog, added a little extra milk and some nutmeg and cinnamon), bacon and eggs a la Grant (he's the best egg whipper around). Once Erik got up, we popped some champagne for mimosas and sat down to eat.

Saturday night we all (dogs included, for some reason) piled on the couch to watch The Polar Express. I'd never seen it, so I didn't know it was going to freak G out. He woke up in the middle of the night with bad dreams, presumably about the creepy puppet and the dude on top of the train, that he kept calling a ghost. We tried to tell him that we thought he was the Christmas spirit but he wasn't buying it. And seriously, where the hell did my kid hear about ghosts?!

Sunday was low key as well. We skipped church because the roads were absolutely wrecked and I drew the lucky sleep-in straw and Piper didn't get me up to eat until 10 (she'd eaten at 7). Man oh man I felt like a whole new person! We've been getting snow just absolutely dumped on us, so both Saturday and Sunday Erik and G went out to shovel the walkway and the driveway. G thinks that's playing in the snow. He has a little shovel and he totally helps Erik get the areas clean. Hey, if it works for him, it works for us!

Sadly for us, Erik went back to work today, though since the university is on break, I don't think they'll be very busy. His parents come Thursday to celebrate an early Christmas with us, before we're on our own for the actual holiday. This is the first year G is really "getting" Christmas, and I'm so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment