Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Pink Fluff

My mom came to spend Turkey Day with us. Two days before the big day, we took in another family from Erik's office who had their Thanksgiving plans foiled by the storm (I literally had to send Erik out to buy another turkey!) So we had a great group, with extra kids for G to torment play with. I love spending holidays with friends as well as family. Sometimes, we don't put out our best for holiday meals when it's just family (or is that just me?) so I like to have friends around so I feel compelled to make things extra special (and not cheesy when I do so). Plus, something about the Army lifestyle makes me feel like holidays aren't compete without friends around to share it with.
 
Before my mom came I got lots of work done, including making pie crust 3 times because it just wasn't coming together right. I have an observation on that front, by the way: organic flour in your pie crust is useless when the recipe calls for 1/2 C Crisco. Food for thought.
 
 But I digress. I got as much prep work done as I could the day before, but I saved Pink Fluff for my mom to make with G. He's a bit of a pro already and my moms Fluff always tastes better than my own (turns out it's because she drains her pineapple tidbits better than I do).
 


 
 
Pink Fluff is a holiday table staple for me (and now for Erik, I think - he was disappointed when we were already out on Friday) and I think G has picked up the torch as well. And seriously, what are we going to do without that pull out cutting board for G to work at when we move?

No comments:

Post a Comment