Saturday, March 17, 2018

Some Art

Grant has always been very artistic. In fact, I didn't realize how early he developed his skill until I had the following conversation with his Pre-K teacher a few years ago.

Miss Faye: Do you save all of Grant's artwork?
Sheena: No... I just can't keep everything.
Miss Fay: You should! He's fantastic!
Sheena: He is?
Miss Faye: Yes! Look at the pictures the other kids in class draw.
Sheena, looks at the chicken scratch barely resembling anything, while Grant has drawn an entire mountain-scape, with labels: Oh.

I just thought all kids were good artists until perfectionism and self-criticism took hold and they started to think too much. Turns out I was wrong.

Piper took a little longer to hone her artistic skill. If I'm being honest, home-girl still struggles to color inside the lines. But hey man, we all have our strengths. I'm not worried.

And then one day she drew this. She said it's all her little neighborhood friends, and I could have died. And they're all holding hands which is just about the sweetest thing ever.



Sometimes she makes me want to pull my hair out, and sometimes she's so presh I could squeal. I imagine this is what raising a daughter is like pretty much all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment