Friday, March 9, 2018

Who Thought This Was A Good Idea

I'm just going to continue my trend of book reviewing, because I need shit to talk about on here for my two readers (Hi, Karen! Hi Jess!) and because I don't usually get to enjoy two books in a row, because I have serious issues. Seriously, I'm kinda nuts.

You probably know I listen to my books on Audible so I can listen in the car or while I cook (both of which compose exactly 92.6% of my life), but for someone who is a little cray like I am, this can sometimes pose a problem. Narration. If you talk too fast, too slow, too lispy, too Australian, too much like Bernadette on the Big Bang Theory, whatever, I just can't with you. I will return your book like a hot damn potato if I can't stand how you talk. Regardless of content. I want my credit back.

So finding a book with quality content AND quality narration is quite the feat.

Last year I got in to listening to memoirs. Well, first I got into books read by their author (which, in my most humble opinion, brings a whole new level of enjoyment to a book because you can hear it how the author meant for it to be heard) and then I asked myself which books would be best read by their own author, and the answer of course, was memoirs. So far, this plan has panned out quite nicely and I have learned about some things I ordinarily wouldn't have. Like Hollywood. And the Obama White House. And soon, the life and times of Rob Lowe. I'll be sure to let you know how that goes.

Recently I listened to Who Thought This Was a Good Idea?: And Other Questions You Should Have  Answers to When You Work in the White House by Alyssa Mastromonaco. (The number of times I had to reference her amazon page for the exact title and how to spell that name correctly is kind of embarrassing and kind of took the wind out of my writing sails if I'm being honest.)

The book was fantastic. I, obviously, am not a Democrat, so I was a little hesitant to dig into her book and then be disappointed by constant political commentary or attacks (like in Thanks, Obama), but seriously, the woman is HILARIOUS. I really want to be her friend. Anyone who can be forthcoming about an attack of IBS at Buckingham Palace deserves a cocktail.

This book gets the Double Yes! Funny content and an engaging, non-lispy narrator!


No comments:

Post a Comment