Sunday, March 4, 2018

Wonder

I am constantly on the prowl for a good book to read but lately I have been struggling to find books that stick out to me. Am I the only person who feels like EVERYTHING in the fiction world is tired and repetitive?

Recently someone on my Facebook NewsFeed posted that her sister-in-law was starting an online book club and was looking for participants. This rang.my.bell. I joined ASAP.

The first book was Wonder, by R.J. Palacio and I am not ashamed to admit that I was NOT excited.

If we're real life friends, you've heard me say and discuss online when asking for book recs, that I don't want ANYTHING Holocaust-y, anything where a kid gets hurt or killed, or any kind of martial discord or Sophie's Choice shit. (You see now why I struggle to find books to read...) Wonder seemed to fall into the category of a kid getting hurt - not physically, of course, or that I knew of, but I knew the basic premise and I didn't want any part of it.

HOWEVER, you may NOT know that I am absolutely a buckler to peer pressure. Or maybe it was just my super guilty conscience. But I didn't want to seem like a jerk by punking out on the first book of the club, so I added it to my Audible list and started off on my journey.

I won't give you a synopsis here because now that the movie is out, pretty much everyone knows the basic premise of the book.

But I WILL tell you...

I loved it. I laughed. I cried. I learned how to be a better mom. And I remembered what it was like to be a kid that was a little bit damaged but so much more than that.

Get your hands on this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment